Friday, October 31, 2008

Blueberry Muffin No. 2

Again, after saw Blueberry in Coles discounted to $3.95, I grabed one with no doubt to make another new muffin recipe :D

The very tempting recipe for me now is from Lisa. In her blog, it seems so yummy ! I made just half recipe and use 1 punnet of fresh blueberry....It was too many of blueberry, I think !

Orange Berry Muffins
From Dorie Greenspan's Baking From my Home to Yours
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange (I used blood orange)
About 3/4 cup buttermilk (I used non-fat yoghurt)
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons honey
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries - fresh, preferably, or frozen (not thawed)
Decorating sugar, for topping (optional)

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups. Alternatively, use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

1. Pour the orange juice into a large glass measuring cup or a bowl and pour in enough buttermilk to make 1 cup. Whisk in the eggs, honey and melted butter.

2. In a large bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of orange strong. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough - the batter will be lumpy and bubbly, and that’s just the way it should be. Stir in the blueberries.

4. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.Bake for 22 to 25 minutes.

If you want to top the muffins with decorating sugar, sprinkle on the sugar after the muffins have baked for 10 minutes. When fully baked, the tops of the muffins will be golden and springy to the touch and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins will come out clean.

Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.


I totally forgot to rub the orange zest with sugar, I just mix it with the juice mixture...but the result still turned out fine....except a bit to dark in colour? hehehe


When it just came out from the oven, sooooooooooo good I tell you! The muffin was so light and fluffy, just the way I like..I prefer this version than last time .. About the taste...felt something missing, maybe I will try buttermilk next time. Very happy !


But after one day, it became more dense and a bit wet...Wahhh...I had to try again for the perfect Muffin I want !

PS. this time I didn't reduce any sugar at all ....lol

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Bring to school k! I want to try~

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

heidi : hahaha....it was the one you tried at school...lol

Heidi said...

ohh, haha. okay then. tried and tested already...

Annie said...

yummy! Can I have leftovers of these or should I wait until the perfected recipe?! This one looks pretty damn good to me!

panda said...

i am just like you (or you are just like me) - i'm always keeping an eye out for when blueberries/raspberries are cheap at the supermarket :P hehe...

anyway, these muffins look good!

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

annie : I will try another recipe soon..

panda : hahahahaha...you know last friday I bought blueberry from Coles cuz it was $4.50...on Saturday nite, I saw in Woolworth, it was $3.95 -_-''