Saturday, September 13, 2008

IP Lesson 22 - 23 : Ice cream and Sorbet

This week for Monday and Tuesday, we made ice cream...ummm...

We made Vanilla ice cream, Chocolate ice cream and meringue for first day and made Raspberry sorbet and finished decoration on the second day.

Ice cream is a frozen dessert made from dairy products, such as milk and cream, combined with flavorings and sweeteners, such as sugar, and possible other ingredients. This mixture is stirred slowly while cooling to prevent large ice crystals from forming; the result is a smoothly textured ice cream.

A Sorbet is a soft textured water ice made from sugar syrup and flavouring, usually fruit. Sometimes alcohol is added. Unlike a Sherbet, it contains no dairy products but may contain emulsifiers to enhance flavour and consistency.

Bombes Alaska (also known as Baked Alaska, Norwegian omelette) is a dessert made of ice cream placed in a pie dish lined with slices of sponge cake and topped with meringue. The entire dessert is then placed in an extremely hot oven for just long enough to firm the meringue. The meringue is an effective insulator, and the short cooking time prevents the heat from getting through to the ice cream

Vacherin : A dessert consisting of several crisp Meringue rings stacked on top of each other and placed on a meringue. Alternatively, the rings may be made with almond paste. This "container" may be filled with ice cream or crème chantilly and/or various fruits.

Chef Gert (came to replace chef Karin) showed us now to make Bombes in his style.


His Vacherin covered by cream chantilly.

Chef Gert's Vacherin...Actaully his style won't be like this but because we prepared the meringue since Monday, we couldn't change anything.

In our kitchen, I had no idea what happended to all freezers that day. Someone change the temperature? Our ice cream almost melted. Then I saw one freezer, the temperature was 7 degree Celcuis !!!!!!!!!!!!


I tried my best to scoop my melted ice cream...Oh..chef Gert like my chocolate piping :)

Then I took the Bombes out from freezer and used blowtorch to burn meringue...Just before I left school, Hong told me that I took his Bombes but it was ok cuz he gave my Bombes to the Library already...What a shame ! I felt really sorry to Hong and myself...

So...I don't have the picture of my Bombes at all!!

Hong's Bombes (cut by me ..hehe)

No comments: